Skip to main content

Featured

The World in Fast Forward

​ God doesn’t have to see things unfold at 60 seconds per minute. Maybe it looks faster to him.   As I’m listening to Marilynne Robinson‘s book “Home” she mentioned how God could see an oak tree jump out of the ground.   I guess that’s right.  They seem to grow so slowly to us but to God flowers must be like fireworks and trees like children jumping for joy. 

Frederick Douglass

​Is now one of my heroes. Yesterday I read about his life and work. 


Read this quote captured from his Wikipedia page:





I just want to say that racism is wicked. It is evil to consider yourself of more intrinsic value than another because of the color of your skin. The arbitrariness of this border proves that racist ideologies can be nothing but demonic. 

If you haven’t seen me, I’ll tell you: I am a U.S.-born male person of European ancestry. Possibly the most privileged demographic at this time in history. But I am no more worthy of a good life than anyone. 

Frederick Douglass denounced Christian leaders of his day who supported slavery. He said that to use the Bible to justify owning another person is blasphemy. It is so far from the truth of God’s words, and so far from God’s heart that it is inconceivable that Jesus would have approved of slavery. He is right.

Thank God for Frederick Douglass. 

Nor does Jesus tolerate racial prejudice.

Everyone alive today should take to heart this same sentiment for their own immediate context. 

God made everyone who was made. Christ bled for every person. Heaven will be peopled with relatively few fair-skinned people. 

Comments

Ad

Popular Posts